Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Challenge Weymouth 3weeks post race!

After a two week break from training extended by another week with being crook i am really looking forward to getting stuck in summer racing in New Zealand.

First just a brief review of my race at Challenge Weymouth.  After Ironman Copenhagen my plans changed from flying straight home to adding one more race to the trip so off to the UK i went.  I had a blast in London for a week with my great mate Sara and then went 10days staying in Portland getting ready for the race.
Race day really didn't plan out as i hoped it would.  I was feeling great and Copenhagen seemed nothing but a distant memory.  I definitely felt like the 3weeks between them was enough.  But in the end i struggled all day with a sore lower back finishing in 5th place in a race i thought i could of been more competitive.

Race morning was very windy with the sea looking very rough causing the swim to be shortened to a 1900m 2lap course.  I am pretty sure i like many others would of been out there for a lot further than that as i ended up washed up down shore both laps!  It was an amusing swim though.  On to the bike i was feeling great and got up to speed catching a couple of girls very early on in the first couple of kms. Once i hit only 10km though i suddenly started getting a really sore lower back.  I couple of times i even got off the bike to try and stretch it but no matter what i did it wasn't going away.  It then started radiated down my legs and i felt as though i had no power at all.  I spent most of the ride feeling sorry for myself that i couldn't hammer the bike like i had been looking forward to. Especially on the hilly course.  I groveled my way around, many times wanting to pull out but somehow got myself to transition 2.

The run wasn't any better which i was pretty sad about as i haven't yet been able to put my legs together on the run.  The pain was getting so bad that when i had to make a toilet stop i was pretty much lying down in the port-a-loo and thought i was going to have to kick the door open to ask for a hand back up!   There was nothing i could do but have a chuckle and get to the finish line.

Well done to the girls on the podium.  They deserved to be there.  Not much more else to say about the race other than:
If you are going to race pro don't get one of your supporters to ride around the bike course with you.  It was surely noted by more than just me and its such bad form aka cheating!  I would say that probably applies to everyone no matter what category you enter in.

A massive thank you to Patrick and Rachel for hosting me in Portland.  Was a great wee place to set up for a few days training and get ready for the race.

A few weeks now to get back in to the swing of things and get ready for the next race.

Thanks to
CYCLEWORLD DUNEDIN
KINETIC HEALTH
SHOE CLINIC DUNEDIN
VO2COACH
Aloe Up Sun and Skincare
Nathan Performance Gear
For your continued support.
Check these guys out.  They really know their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment