Sunday, August 14, 2016

Time for a change

9 weeks ago i competed at the Ironman Asia Pacific Champs in Cairns.  I was hoping for a really solid race and to easily go under 10hours but it wasn't to be.  From about half way through the swim until the finish i was vomiting.  I couldn't keep down any nutrition and spent the whole day wondering whether i should continue.  As the day went on i got slower and slower and the marathon was an absolute grovel.  Many things could of contributed to the race going the way it did.  My training hadn't been that flash leading up to the event, the swim was really rough and it was way too hot to be swimming in a wetsuit, plus the vomiting wasn't helping my day at all!  I somehow made it to the finish line though and finished up as 8th pro female.

Coming back home i started to have a big think about whether i really wanted to continue with the long distance racing.  It was the first time i had been away from Anja since she was born and i didn't want to travel again with out her.  I decided that i needed a change in direction, to spark the motivation back and continue on in the sport with enjoyment.  With that said i decided to part ways with my coach of 5 years, Keegan Williams.  I have to say a MASSIVE thanks to Keegan as i loved having him as a coach.  I learnt so much about training and racing from him and the passion he has for the sport.  He really was such a huge help to my training and racing since i started long distance triathlon in 2011.  I am not sure how much longer i will be up for continuing racing long distance BUT i hope it is for at least another 5years.  So i am now under the guidance of Bevan McKinnon at Fitter.  I am really enjoying the training so far.

So next up is Challenge Regensburg tomorrow.  Its been a huge trip over for Anja and myself and not the best build up back home with illness, but i love Germany and can't wait to get out there tomorrow and rip up the course.  Many people thought i was crazy traveling all this way by myself with a baby but there wasn't really any other choice.  I love triathlon and i love Anja so i made it work.  Its been a rough race week with a bit of a sore leg and Anja having a crook butt (constipation!) but i will give it my all tomorrow and am excited to see how i will shape up.


Huge thanks to my PRIMARY SPONSOR NEW WORLD CENTRE CITY (DUNEDIN), such an awesome supermarket with so much choice and variety, especially when you are trying to eat healthy and fuel for sport.
Smashfest Queen
Cycleworld Dunedin
Profile Design
Kinetic Health
AloeUp Sun and Skincare

and supporters
Blue Seventy
Specialized New Zealand
GU energy
New Balance New Zealand

and lastly Bevan at Fitter for taking me onboard and all my friends and family for supporting me :)

See you on the other side
Cheers
Tams


1 comment:

  1. Go hard girl. All the best from your Southern supporters :-), Mel A

    ReplyDelete